Simmesport tax preparer submitted fraudulent tax returns, suit says

Simmesport tax preparer submitted fraudulent tax returns, suit says

Simmesport tax preparer submitted fraudulent tax returns, suit says

-What is the #1 thing procrastinators should focus on when they're putting their taxes together? However, there is a minimum penalty that ends up being the smaller of $205 or 100 percent of the unpaid tax if the return is more than 60 days late.

These mistakes are completely avoidable, but sometimes in the last-minute rush, people overlook them. Don't let the convincing tone of these scam calls lead you to provide personal or credit card information, potentially losing hundreds or thousands of dollars.

-What is the deadline to ask for an extension?

And if you still are not ready, you can file an extension. A reputable preparer will ask to see a taxpayer's records and receipts and can help file an extension to give the taxpayer time to collect any missing documents. IRS has extended its call service hours to help meet the increased number of taxpayer calls as the April 18 deadline approaches. If you file your tax refund on paper, you can expect a delay of your refund by about a week.

-Is there a fee for filing an extension?

Still, the Internal Revenue Service's latest weekly filing statistics show the federal agency had received only about 93.7 million returns as of March 31 - 4.1 percent fewer than at the same time a year ago. Important point: If there is a refund or no balance due, the penalties will not apply. Check out "What You Must Know Before Doing Your Own Taxes". If you use a computer-based method, you can e-file your income tax return, in many cases for free.

-What are the downfalls of waiting to file?

Myth: The only way to get the most up-to-date information on my tax refund is to call the NYS Tax Department.

Now, you could also get a call from the IRS that isn't a scam.

Direct pay: You can pay online with a direct transfer from your U.S. bank account using Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System, or by a U.S. debit or credit card. You may be short on the cash to pay your taxes, but there are better ways to address your tax problem than avoiding it entirely. If you don't file, the penalty will be $50 a month. To find VITA and TCE sites, either phone 800-906-9887 or use the locator tool at But because in 2017 that date is a Saturday, Tax Day has been moved backward.

Last week, the IRS warned of a surge in phony emails with subject lines like "e-Service Account is Blocked" that try to dupe tax professionals into turning over their log-in credentials. There are new rules this year. However, even if you get an extension to file your tax return, you are still responsible for paying your taxes on the original due date.

Related news